Recording and Backstory
The track samples the opening scene from "Day Of The Dead".
The basis of this song was born, when 2-D and Russel sat down and watched loads of zombie films. 2-D claims he wrote the lyrics for the song, however, Murdoc argues he wrote the lyrics when driving down an empty highway, driving up to Stoke to see his grandmother on Christmas Day. Though this was most likely a lie on Murdoc's end.
Noodle triple-tracked the guitars to make it sound like there was a 'bagful of cats being dragged behind a car.' Then she screamed on top of it.
- The music video (which was taken down) for M1 A1 is one of the two music videos from the self titled album to not open with Gorillaz being written in red ink, the other being Rock The House.
- This track appeared on the original un-mastered version of the debut album as track 14.
- There was also an error on the cover art stating the name was Mi Ai as opposed to M1 A1.
- This track was used as the opening song for the Humanz and The Now Now Tours.
- When opening for The Now Now tour, the song's ending led into Lil' Dub Chefin.