Matthew Wakeham, commonly known just as Mat Wakeham, was a key employee at Gorillaz' former design company Zombie Flesh Eaters during Phase 1 of Gorillaz, who had been friends with Jamie since the creation of Hewlett's comic strip Tank Girl.
Role in Gorillaz
Mat helped Gorillaz with various different things including but not limited to:
- Inking Jamie's art
- Creating Phase 1 Tour Visuals
- Writing Phase 1 Character Interviews
- Developing the Phase 1 Kong Site
- Mat's favourite character to write for was Murdoc.
- The line '2-D smells like butterscotch angel delight', said by Noodle during her New York Times interview, was inspired by it being his favourite flavour as a child.
- Mat's favourite interview to write was Murdoc's Esquire.
- Mat claimed in a one on one with Gorillaz Raritiez that the beta build of Kong Studios was heavily inspired by Trellick Tower.
- Mat revealed that Russel was originally intended to be an alumni of an Ivy League college, but the concept was dropped prior to Rise of the Ogre.